• The Bethany Beach Town Council will hold a public hearing at 1 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 19, at town hall, to receive comments on an ordinance to amend the Bethany Beach Non-Residential Design Guidelines to include the Commercial Lodging District (CL-1).
• The Bethany Beach Town Council will meet on Friday, Dec. 19, at 2 p.m. at town hall. The agenda for the meeting includes: a first reading of an ordinance to amend Chapter 530 (Signs) of the town code; discussion, consideration and a possible vote on an ordinance to amend Section §425-2 (Definitions) and §425-77.1 through §425-77.9 of the town code to further define and clarify zoning requirements for the Commercial Lodging District (CL-1) and modifying parking requirements under Section §425-87 of the town code; discussion, consideration and possible vote on a motion to go into executive session to hold preliminary discussions on site acquisitions for publicly funded capital improvements and to discuss personnel matters.
• Bethany Beach Town Hall will be closed on Dec. 25-26 for the Christmas holiday.
• Construction on the Bethany Beach Streetscape project has resumed in the beach block “loop” of Garfield Parkway. The improvements are part of a $2.4 million project designed to improve pedestrian and vehicle safety. Closure of the loop and adjacent roads, including Atlantic Avenue, can be expected.
• The regular meetings of the Bethany Beach Town Council and Planning Commission are now being broadcast over the Internet via the Town’s website at www.townofbethanybeach.com, under Live-Audio Broadcasts.
• The Town has compiled the results of its park survey regarding the former Christian Church/Neff property. They are available online at http://www.townofbethanybeach.com/DocumentCenter/View/1890.
• Bethany Beach ended its pay-to-park season on Sept. 15. Pay-to-park will resume May 15, 2015.
• Prohibitions on dogs on the beach and boardwalk in Bethany Beach ended Sept. 30. They will return on May 15, 2015.
• The town council’s monthly workshop meeting was set for Thursday, Dec. 18, at 5 p.m.
• Curbside recycling is picked up every other Friday, continuing Dec. 19.
• Yard waste is picked up every other Wednesday, continuing Dec. 24.
• South Bethany is forming a team for the annual Leo Brady Exercise like the Eskimos polar swim held in Bethany Beach on New Year’s Day at noon. Individuals are responsible for registration but should also contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Prohibitions on dogs on the beach ended Oct. 15. They will resume May 15, 2015.
• The Town of South Bethany’s website is located at www.southbethany.org.
• The 2015 Fenwick Freeze is scheduled to take place on the Bayard Street Beach on Jan. 1, 2015, at 10:30 a.m., with day-of registration (and towel pick-up for pre-registered participants) from 9 to 10 a.m. (The event will take place rain, shine, snow or sleet). All registrants will receive a beach towel.
Registration costs $20 per person through Dec. 22 or $25 for day-of registration on Jan. 1; or, for groups of two of more people, $16 per person through Dec. 22 or $20 each on Jan. 1. Pre-registration runs through Dec. 22 only, with a form and release available on the town website. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Fenwick Island Lifeguard National Competition Fund.
• The Fenwick Island Charter & Ordinance Committee will meet on Tuesday, Jan. 6, at 9:30 a.m. at town hall. The agenda for the meeting includes discussion and possible action on: Chapter 160 (Zoning ) – Commercial Setbacks; Chapter 160 (Zoning) – Roof Height; and a proposed new ordinance regarding drainage system maintenance; as well as possible discussion and review of Comprehensive Plan items.
• Fenwick Island’s trash and recycling pickup has returned to its off-season schedule. The Town is now performing yard-waste pickup.
• The Fenwick Island town website is located at www.fenwickisland.org.
• The Town of Fenwick Island is now on Twitter, at https://twitter.com/IslandFenwick or @IslandFenwick.
• The Ocean View Planning & Zoning Commission was set to meet on Thursday, Dec. 18, at 6 p.m. at town hall.
• Town offices will be closed Dec. 24-26 for the Christmas holiday.
• The Town of Ocean View now has a Facebook page, which can be found at www.facebook.com/townofoceanview.
• The Ocean View town website is located at www.oceanviewde.com.
•The Town of Millsboro will hold its monthly council meeting on Monday, Jan. 5, 2015, at 7 p.m. at the Millsboro Town Center.
• Town offices will be closed Dec. 24-26 for the Christmas holiday.
• The Millsboro town website is located at www.millsboro.org.
• The Planning & Zoning Commission will meet Monday, Jan. 12, at 7 p.m.
• The town council’s next regular meeting is scheduled for is Tuesday, Jan. 13, at 7 p.m.
• The Millville town website is located at www.millville.delaware.gov.
• Curbside recycling is picked up every other Tuesday, continuing Dec. 30.
• Town offices will be closed Dec. 25-26 for the Christmas holiday.
• The deadline for voter registration for the 2015 town election is Dec. 31. Voters who haven’t voted in two consecutive town elections must re-register.
• The next town council meeting is scheduled for Monday, Jan. 5, at 7 p.m. at the Frankford Volunteer Fire Company meeting room.
• Candidates for the town council election in 2015 must file to run at town hall by Jan. 6.
• The Town of Frankford website is located at www.frankfordde.us.
• Curbside recycling is collected every other Wednesday, continuing Dec. 31.
• The next regular Town Council meeting is Monday, Jan. 5, at 7 p.m.
• The Town website is at www.TownOfSelbyville.com. Dagsboro • The next Dagsboro Town Council meeting is Tuesday, Jan. 20, at 7 p.m. at the Bethel Center.
• The Town of Dagsboro website is at www.townofdagsboro.com.
Indian River School District
• Committee meetings are at planned at the IRSD Educational Complex in Selbyville on Monday, Jan. 12: Curriculum at 3:15 p.m.; Policy at 4:30 p.m.; Buildings & Grounds at 6 p.m.; and Finance at 7 p.m.
• The Health Curriculum sub-committee will meet Jan. 8 at 4 p.m.
• Winter break begins Wednesday, Dec. 24. School resumes Jan. 5.
• The next regular School Board meeting is Monday, Jan. 26, at 7 p.m. at Indian River High School. Comprehensive school safety committee meets at 6 p.m. to discuss southern schools.
• School Choice applications are due Jan. 14, 2015.
• The district website is at www.irsd.net.
• County offices will be closed Dec. 23 through Jan. 1, 2015, for the Christmas and New Year’s holidays.
• The Board of Adjustment will meet Monday, Jan. 5, at 7 p.m.
• Agendas, minutes and audio, as well as live streaming of all County meetings, may be found online at www.sussexcountyde.gov. The entire council packet is now being made available on Mondays, mid-day, before the weekly Tuesday council meeting.
State of Delaware
• Work on the Route 26 Mainline and Detour Routes Improvement Project this week is expected to include lane closures, with traffic alternating using a flagging operation on Route 26. Work is also set to include ongoing work on the installation of the privately owned Tidewater Utilities Inc. water line between Grants Avenue and Old School Lane, with lane closures with traffic alternating utilizing a flagging operation.
A three-month closure of sections of Route 26 between Millville Town Hall and Lord Baltimore Elementary School is planned this winter, with detour routes to be posted and local access to be maintained inside the closure area.
Overall, the 4-mile-long project includes the reconstruction of Route 26 (Atlantic Avenue) from Clarksville to the Assawoman Canal and will widen the existing two-lane roadway to include two 11-foot travel lanes with 5-foot shoulder/bike lanes and a 12-foot wide continuous shared center left-turn lane. Construction is scheduled to last for at least 2.5 years. George & Lynch is building the 4-plus-mile project from Assawoman Canal in Bethany Beach to St. George’s U.M. Church in Clarksville. Foul weather, such as rainstorms and blizzards, could push the schedule beyond than the planned September 2016 end date. Regular Route 26 project meetings will be held on the second Tuesday of each month at 10 a.m. at Bethany Beach Town Hall. The public is being encouraged to attend or to get email updates from DelDOT via the project page for the Route 26 project at www.deldot.gov. For additional Route 26 project information or concerns, residents and businesses can contact Ken Cimino at (302) 616-2621, or Kenneth.email@example.com or at 17 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 2, in Ocean View.